Breakfast seems to be the most challenging meal for people with food restrictions, particularly when serving to a large crowd. My cousin Margaret found a recipe called baked oatmeal to prepare for a friend who is gluten intolerant. I decided to try to convert the dairy and egg out of it for Positive Kitchen. I am happy to report that it is delicious, nutritious and easy to prepare. Just think of this as a fast version of bread pudding without needing to find/bake bread!
This version uses apples and blueberries and almond milk, but you could easily substitute any other milk-like beverage for the almond milk and you could substitute pretty much any fruit you can imagine for apples and blueberries. The recipe calls for fresh fruit but there’s no reason you couldn’t throw in a half a cup of your favorite dried fruit in addition to what’s already in the recipe. Thanks, Margaret, for the great find!
Allergen-Free Baked Oatmeal with Fruits & Nuts
Serves: 3 or 4
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Baking time: 45 to 55 minutes
- 1 apple cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups almond milk, coconut milk beverage or cow milk if you can eat dairy
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon melted Earth Balance margarine or butter if you can eat dairy
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon EnerG egg replacer mixed into one quarter of a cup very hot water or 1 egg if you can eat eggs.
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Oil inside of a 1 ½ quart casserole dish. Place sliced apple and blueberries in bottom of casserole dish.
- In a bowl mix oatmeal, salt and cinnamon together with a fork and spread over fruit.
- Combine almond milk, vanilla, maple syrup, egg replacer and melted Earth Balance in a bowl and stir with a fork. (I used the same bowl from the oats that got emptied when I spread the oats on the fruit.)
- Pour this mixture over the oats and fruit in a casserole dish. Stir gently.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake uncovered in oven for 45 to 55 minutes. Allow to cool at least 15 minutes and serve.
You could easily make this dish ahead and warm it in the microwave.
And this recipe will double very easily as long as you use a larger casserole dish.
// I’d love to know if you make this and what fruits you used. Please share them in the comments below!