I learned two interesting things today. The first is that Misty the poodle does not eat Rice Krispies and the second is that Rice Krispies spilled on the floor are very difficult to clean up.
Let’s back up.
I was trying to make a recipe that you could make in 5 minutes without using your oven. It’s nice to have one of these recipes on hand for those times that you need to whip up a quick snack to share at a gathering.
Now be aware that this recipe is really unhealthy… But it fills that special need for a treat that’s crunchy and sweet. So I was making this incredibly simple recipe when I knocked the box of Rice Krispies off of the counter, covering the floor with the cereal. And Misty was not cooperating.
Apparently Rice Krispies don’t have enough flavor or smell to make a dog want to eat them. She took one sniff and simply walked away.
I got the vacuum but what I didn’t realize was that as the vacuum actually just goes over the spilled Rice Krispies and shoots them out. Luckily about 10 minutes with a broom and a Swiffer did the trick.
The good news is that if you don’t spill the Rice Krispies on your floor the recipe takes less than 5 minutes to make and they’re irresistible.
Yield: 13 x 9 pan
Prep time: 10 minutes
Chilling time: several hours
- 3 ounces of Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- ½ cup Earth Balance margarine
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups gluten-free Rice Krispies
- Line 13 by 9 pan with parchment paper.
- In large pot melt chocolate, margarine and corn syrup.
- Stir in confectioners’ sugar until completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Stir in gluten-free Rice Krispies
- Pour mixture into 13 by 9 inch pan
- Freeze for 2 hours.
- Take parchment paper sling out of pan, place on cutting board and cut into diamond shapes
- Store in freezer in a bag or container.
Gobble with abandon. These are dangerously good.