Like our chocolate pudding, this was requested by a student & reader who explained that this one treat that her family truly misses. After some playing around, we’re excited to present to you, Monkey Bread! So be sure to leave us comments with suggestions so we know what you’re craving.
While there are a few more steps involved than in our less complex recipes, like cinnamon rolls, they are definitely worth the extra effort for a special occasion and they are guaranteed to wow your family and friends. And this is really fun to make! We baked it in mini-Bundt pans but you can use a 9 inch square. We found that the monkey bread falls apart a bit when you turn it out because they don’t bake into each other as their glutenous counterparts do. Luckily, the toffee is excellent glue so we simply stuck it all back together.
Allergen-free Monkey Bread
Yield: 1- 9 x9 monkey bread
Prep time: 45 minutes
Rising time: one hour
Baking time: 25 minutes
- 2 ¼ teaspoons yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- ¾ cup So Do Delicious cultured coconut milk or buttermilk if you can eat dairy
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons or 303 grams Pamela’s Bread Mix and Flour Blend. Shake bag very well before measuring
- 6 tablespoons Earth Balance Margarine spread, or butter if you can eat dairy
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ¾ cup chopped nuts
- ¼ cup Earth Balance spread, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Turn your oven to 200 degrees for exactly 3 minutes. Now turn off the oven. Use a timer! This makes your oven the perfect place for yeast dough to rise.
- In large bowl of stand mixer using balloon whisk attachment mix warm water with yeast and let stand 5 minutes until creamy.
Add cultured coconut milk, oil, corn syrup, ¼ teaspoon baking soda and 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons Pamela’s bread mix that you shook very well before measuring. Mix on medium to high speed for 3 minutes.
- Line a 9 by 9 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare the butterscotch mixture by mixing 6 tablespoons Earth Balacne margarine, brown sugar and honey in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and make sure the sugar has dissolved. Stir in nuts and remove from heat.
- Pour this mixture into prepared pan.
- Mix ¼ cup sugar with cinnamon.
- Pinch off 1 inch balls of dough and roll gently into balls using your hands. If dough is too sticky just oil your hands.
- Dip balls into melted Earth Balance, then roll in the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Place these balls in prepared pan. They should touch each other. You can make two layers if needed.
- Place in the warm oven for one hour to rise.
- Remove from oven and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until internal temperature of dough ball is 200 degrees with an insta-read thermometer.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes. Turn monkey bread out onto platter, being sure to capture all of the yummy goo.