I recently returned from Italy, where I had many amazing Tuscan meals. While the pastas, truffle dishes and risottos were incredible, as you might imagine, what really intrigued me were the breakfasts. There were always several baked goods that resembled hearty coffee cakes so I decided to try to make a few for Positive Kitchen. This first one is made with apples.
Please follow the directions very carefully. You must weigh the dry ingredients and pre-cook the chopped apples or the cakes will come out soggy and unappealing. This only adds a few minutes to the prep time, but makes such a difference. In fact, this recipe is one where it’s especially important that you follow our tips & tricks on testing doneness and freezing (if you choose to store some)
Allergen-free Apple Coffeecakes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 25 minutes
Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon EnerG egg replacer mixed into ¼ cup very warm water
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup plain So Delicious cultured coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup or 75 grams sorghum flour
- 2/3 cup or 118 grams potato starch
- ½ cup or 55 grams tapioca starch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 large or 2 small golden delicious apples, cored and thinly diced
- ½ cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1/3 cup organic brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place muffin papers into muffin pans.
- Heat chopped apples on dinner plate in microwave oven for about 2 minutes until the pieces look shrunken.
- You may need to stir once during the cooking time. We want to drive off the moisture from the apples.
- Beat oil, egg replacer, lemon zest, vanilla and coconut milk together in large mixer bowl of electric mixer with the balloon whisk attachment until well blended.
- Combine dry ingredients in another bowl using a fork until well mixed.
- On low speed beat the combined dry ingredients into the oil mixture. Blend well and beat for 3 minutes on medium speed. Fold apple chunks gently into batter.
- Using ¼ cup scoop, fill muffin pan. Combine almonds with brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle this topping onto cupcakes. Press topping down gently into batter.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. I suggest you use an instant read thermometer to test for doneness. They should read 200 degrees.
- Cool in pan on wire cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool cupcakes completely on rack.
Adapted from Gluten-Free Quick and Easy, Carol Fenster, PhD